Friday, May 10, 2013

Midterms shmidterms and a mini Gatsby ramble

Happy Friday!

I'm lying. It's actually Thursday night, but no worries, by the time you read this, it will already be Friday.

It's been an exhausting week, and midterms have literally taken up every ounce of my time this week. After having a small taste of tour life all over again in San Diego with my Billy family, I had to return to the life of a college student.

And not just a college student... a college student in the midst of midterms, which is even worse.

I have one more midterm and a rough draft of a dance history essay to do still, but those aren't untill next week. So I obviously have time to blog, and watch The Great Gatsby at midnight tonight and get all the hours of sleep I lost over the week.

I'm doing a terrible job of trying to keep this blog up to date, but let me tell you I am making an effort!! I have drafts of different posts I started, I just haven't finished them yet. SEE PROOF:


 But I'll try to finish and post some of those during the week, or whenever this university mayhem is over.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Ah, 2 am. I am certainly not glad to see you again.
It's not Thursday anymore so I can officially say Happy Friday!

I just got back from seeing The Great Gatsby, and I thought it was pretty good! I'm not the greatest movie critic since I pretty much love all movies, but I figured i'll ramble a little on the movie:


I thought everyone did great performances of their characters. Leo was top notch, loved Carey for Daisy, and thought the people who played Tom Buchanan and Jordan Baker were incredible too (wish I got to see more of Jordan and Nicks relationship though...)! I want to give Tobey Maguire credit too because I think his performance was great as well....

but I honestly can't shake the Spiderman out of him. When he's narrating, I half expect him to start swinging from the rooftops in his Spidey Suit.

Also, please don't tell me I wasn't the only one who pictured Leo in Titanic scenes throughout this film.

The soundtrack is A++ . I'm all for the merging of different time periods in music, so I thought it sounded really cool. However, I'm still kind of iffy on actually seeing girls in flapper dresses dancing to Kanye West. I remember watching the trailer and not really knowing what to think about the mix of modern music in a scene thats supposed to be set in a 1920s time period...  I thought it added a really cool modern vibe to the scene, it's just... strange. It's kind of like how I feel on the Bates Motel show on A&E, (which is a modernized spinoff of Norman Bates in his early adolescent life), and it's set in contemporary time... It kind of throws you off when crazy Norman pull out his iPhone to type a text to his mother. Little modernized things like that just kind of take you out of the time period for a moment, and I guess it's slightly distracting. But, nevertheless, the soundtrack is awesome.

I can't NOT talk about the visual imagery in this film so here it goes:This movie SCREAMS Baz Luhrman. Even if you don't know who the man is, if you've seen Moulin Rouge, you would totally recognize the cinematography. Everything was so beautiful, and it was so visually stimulating, its like one big shiny DIAMOND. The lavish mansions and parties that Gatsby threw totally blew my imagination of what his parties were like out of the water. I found myself shaking my head in awe at the sights because his parties were even more elaborate and magnificent than I imagined. Hell, I want to go to a Gatsby party... There were moments in the way a scene was filmed that I could trace back as a similarity to Moulin Rouge, but of course, it IS Baz, so obviously there would be familiar moments. I feel like it would be really cool to watch in 3D, but I'm not really a fan of 3D movies.

 Anyways, I really want to re-read the book again and re-watch the film so I can analyze/recognize some differences and similarities between the film and the book. It's one of my favorite things to do with a book-turned-film. I almost always prefer the book to the movie, but I thought Baz did a unique take. I wouldn't say it was one of my favorites, and I'm not gonna lie, there was a couple moments in the film where I tuned out for a few seconds (I think it's because I was tired, not because the movie was boring) but for the most part, I liked what Baz did with it.

What did you think, Old Sport? (Let's not even begin to count how many times Old Sport gets said in the film. I can already see ideas popping up for possible movie games in the future...)

With that, I'm heading to sleep. Night, Old Sport!


No comments:

Post a Comment